Working Family Payment - WFP

Working Family Payment


Working Family Payment (WFP) (formerly known as Family Income Supplement (FIS)) is a weekly tax-free payment available to employees with children. It gives extra financial support to people on low pay. You cannot qualify for WFP if you are only self-employed – you must be an employee to qualify.

You must have at least one child who normally lives with you or is financially supported by you. Your child must be under 18 years of age or between 18 and 22 years of age and in full-time education.

To qualify for WFP, your average weekly family income must be below a certain amount for your family size. The WFP you receive is 60% of the difference between your average weekly family income and the income limit which applies to your family. For more information about average family income see ‘Rates’ below.

Your WFP payment is not taxed. If you are getting WFP you may also be entitled to the Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance. Your income from WFP is not taken into account in the assessment for a medical card.

The Back to Work Family Dividend (BTWFD) and WFP can be paid together and the BTWFD will not be taken into account in the income test for FIS.

Budget 2018: the Family Income Supplement is to be renamed as the Working Family Payment. In addition, income thresholds will increase by €10 for families with up to 3 children (March 2018).


WFP is a tax-free weekly payment for employees who:

  • Work 38 or more hours per fortnight (any combination of hours that reaches 38 hours each fortnight is acceptable). You can combine your weekly hours with your spouse, civil partner, cohabitant’s hours to meet this condition. You cannot use time spent in self-employment (or on Community Employment, Gateway, Tús, JobBridge or the Rural Social Scheme) to meet this condition.
  • Where the employment is likely to last at least 3 months
  • Have one or more children who normally live with you and
  • Earn less than an amount set according to your family size

You must be employed in the Irish State and pay tax and PRSI here. Under EU regulations you may be able to claim WFP if your children are living abroad and dependent on you. Generally, the payment continues for one year (52 weeks) and is not affected by, for example, an increase or a decrease in earnings.

However, in the following 2 circumstances, your weekly rate of WFP can be revised during the year:

  • If you start to care for an additional child your WFP rate can be increased.
  • If you were getting a One-Parent Family Payment and your payment stopped because your youngest child reached the relevant OFP age limit your WFP rate can be revised (by disregarding the rate of OFP assessed in your most recent WFP income test).

Job changes

If your pay from work is reduced your Working Family Payment (WFP) payment will stay the same. It will not increase. However, when your WFP payment ends you can re-apply giving details of your new reduced income. (WFP is usually paid for 52 weeks. At the end of the 52 weeks, you can re-apply for WFP.)

If the number of hours you work each week is reduced to below 38 hours per fortnight you are no longer entitled to WFP. You should notify the WFP section if your hours fall below this minimum requirement.

If you move to a new job, your current entitlement to WFP will cease and you must notify the WFP section. You may re-apply for WFP for your new job.

If you lose your job you are no longer entitled to WFP. You must notify the WFP section.

Getting WFP with other social welfare payments

You cannot get WFP if you are on one of the following schemes or social welfare payments:

  • Community Employment Scheme, Gateway, Rural Social Scheme, the Tús scheme or JobBridge.
  • Jobseeker’s Benefit, Jobseeker’s Allowance, Jobseeker’s Transitional payment or Farm Assist
  • Pre-Retirement Allowance
  • Part-Time Job Incentive Scheme.

Your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant can claim WFP while you are getting one of these payments. However an Increase for a Qualified Adult (IQA) will no longer be paid and your social welfare payment will be assessed as income for their WFP payment. Any Increase for a Qualified Child will be affected. Similarly if your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant is getting one of these payments, you can qualify for WFP but an IQA will no longer be paid for you.

If you are parenting alone you may be entitled to WFP in addition to your One-Parent Family Payment, Deserted Wife’s Benefit or Widow’s, Widower’s or Surviving Civil Partner’s (Contributory) Pension.

You can get Illness Benefit or Injury Benefit while you are getting WFP (for 6 consecutive weeks). If you are out of work for more than 6 consecutive weeks payment of WFP is suspended until you return to work and send a final certificate into the Illness Benefit or Occupational Injury Benefit section or until your WFP award period expires (whichever is the earlier).

Under the Maternity Protection Act 1994, a woman on maternity or adoptive leave is entitled to be treated as if she is in employment. This means that she can claim WFP (provided she meets the conditions of the WFP payment and has a family – a pregnant woman who has no other children does not qualify for WFP until the birth of the baby). Your income must be less than the income limit for your family size and is normally calculated using your gross earnings to date or your P60. Your WFP claim will then be paid for 52 weeks from the date you applied. You are not entitled to continue to claim WFP if you take additional unpaid maternity or adoptive leave, if you lose your job after returning to work or give up your employment.


A separated parent can apply for WFP once he or she meets the qualifying conditions and

  • Is living with the children or
  • Is wholly maintaining the ex-spouse, ex-civil partner or ex-cohabitant with whom the children are living

Wholly maintaining means that maintenance paid by you, the WFP applicant, must be the main income of your ex-spouse, ex-civil partner or ex-cohabitant. Your former spouse or partner cannot have more than €100 a week income in their own right and cannot be married, in a civil partnership or cohabiting.

WFP is awarded for 52 weeks. A person included in your WFP award cannot be paid WFP in their own right or be included in another WFP claim during that 52 week period.

Paying maintenance 
If you are a separated parent and paying maintenance you may qualify for WFP. To qualify you must be wholly maintaining the parent with whom the children are living. Only one WFP payment can be made for a family so the parent to whom you are paying maintenance must not be getting WFP. You must supply written evidence from this person to show that they are getting maintenance.

If you are paying maintenance as a result of a court order or legally binding agreement for a second family, the amount of that maintenance payment will not be deducted from the income to be assessed for WFP.

Getting maintenance
If you are getting maintenance, your total maintenance payment will be assessed as income for WFP. This includes situations where rent or mortgage payments are made by an ex-spouse or partner under a maintenance agreement. If a house is in joint names and an ex-spouse or partner pays the mortgage 50% of this will be assessed as income for WFP. Only one WFP payment can be made for a family. This means that the parent from whom you are getting maintenance must not be getting WFP.

A parent getting maintenance for a qualified child will also have that maintenance assessed for WFP.


WFP is calculated on the basis of 60% of the difference between the income limit for the family size and the assessable income of the person(s) raising the child(ren). The combined income of a couple (married, in a civil partnership or cohabiting) is taken into account.

Income from any source (except for the disregards stated below) is assessed. The WFP income test does not assess capital. This includes property you own, bank accounts and cars. The Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP) does assess income you get from tenants who rent a property you own, it may examine your bank accounts to check for other income sources and it may assess income derived from use of a car that you own (for example as a taxi).

The main items counted as income are:

  • Your assessable earnings and your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant’s assessable earnings. (Assessable earnings are gross pay minus tax, employee PRSI, Universal Social Charge and superannuation (including the Public Service Pension Levy and contributions to Personal Retirement Savings Accounts.) Income from working as a home help is included.
  • Any extra income you or your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant have from employment (such as pay for overtime, bonuses, allowances or commission).
  • Any income you or your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant may have from self-employment.
  • Income from occupational pensions.
  • Income you or your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant may have including social welfare payments and student grants.
  • All family income from carer’s payments (Carer’s Allowance or Carer’s Benefit).
  • Rental income from the letting of property or land (the capital value is not assessed). The gross rental income is assessed and you cannot deduct mortgage payments or other expenses. Rental income from renting a room in your house is included.

The following payments do not count as family income:

  • Child Benefit
  • Guardian’s payments
  • Supplementary Welfare Allowance
  • Domiciliary Care Allowance
  • Foster Child Allowance
  • Rent Allowance for tenants affected by the de-control of rents
  • Rent Supplement
  • Income from a charitable organisation
  • Income from providing accommodation to students studying Irish in Gaeltacht areas under a scheme administered by the Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht
  • Any income your children may have

Calculating income for WFP

The Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP) calculates your assessable earnings over a certain period of time.

Because WFP is paid over 52 weeks the DEASP tries to calculate your average earnings over a similar period of time. Normally they will use your latest P60 or your gross earnings up to the date of your application. If you are newly in employment, your average weekly income is calculated from when you started work with that employer.

Your P60 is also used to calculate your average weekly income when your claim is being renewed. If your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant is self-employed, his or her income over the 12-month period before you lodge your claim is used to work out his or her average weekly income.

Again, to qualify, your average weekly family income must be below a certain amount for your family size. You can read examples of calculations on

WFP income limits in 2017

WFP income limits in 2017
If you have:And your weekly family income is less than:
One child€511
Two children€612
Three children€713
Four children€834
Five children€960
Six children€1,076
Seven children€1,212
Eight children€1,308

It’s important to be aware, that if you qualify for WFP, you get a minimum of €20 each week. You can use the Benefit of Work Ready Reckoner from the DEASP to help you assess out the financial consequences of taking up full-time work. The Reckoner works out the total amount you would receive on taking up full-time work (including any Working Family Payment) and compares this to what you are getting in jobseeker payments (including Rent Supplement).

If you are getting WFP you may also be entitled to the Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance.


To apply fill in an application form for Working Family Payment (pdf). You can get a copy of this form in your Intreo Centre or Social Welfare Branch Office. If you need help to fill in this form, the staff in your Intreo Centre, Social Welfare Branch Office or Citizens Information Centre can help you.

To make sure that your application for WFP is processed as quickly as possible, you should include your latest P60 form, your most recent pay slip, and a copy of your Certificate of Tax Credits for the current tax year with your application. If you have not received your P60 send in your week 52 pay slip for the last tax year.

If you think you have been wrongly refused WFP you can appeal this decision.


Send your completed Working Family Payment application form to:

Working Family Payment (WFP) Section

Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection
Social Welfare Services Office
Government Buildings
Ballinalee Road

Opening Hours: Phone line: 10:00am -12:30pm & 2.00pm – 4.00pm, Monday to Friday. 
Tel:(043) 334 0053 (If calling from outside the Republic of Ireland please call +353 43 334 0053
Locall:1890 92 77 70 (Note: the rates charged for using 1890 (Lo-call) numbers may vary)